Every housing decision involves a complex set of factors and moving into an active adult community adds additional unique considerations.
Good News is that a Realtor® and SRES®-designated agent, like myself, can help you with your next move into an Active Adult Community.
Things to Consider
- Do you prefer living close to family/friends or in a particular area for health/weather reasons?
- Do you want to live in a development with minimal amenities within a city or prefer a more isolated community that meets all your social needs and includes all the onsite amenities you desire?
- Do you plan to maintain one or more vehicles or prefer relying on your community’s transportation options or public transit?
Your options will expand or be limited by the amount you have saved and the sale price of your existing home.
How much can you invest in your new house and what is your monthly budget for living expenses?
Remember to include all homeowners’ fees when making your decision. Also factor in any “Up Front” move-in fees.
- What types of activities and amenities would improve your quality of life?
Do you want a residence close to a major city’s cultural/arts events? Are you interested in a “niche” community of people with the same interests/priorities/beliefs?
- If you have pets, are they allowed?
- Will grandchildren or adult children be able to stay with you for extended periods of time?
- Are you allowed to rent your property?
Check the regulations for each potential community for any restrictions that would negatively impact your decision.
Tax and Financial Impact
- How will the move impact your tax liability, especially for capital gains when you sell your existing home?
- How solvent is the community you are considering?
- If you have to pay a large “Up-Front” fee, will that be returned should you decide to leave?
- Does the community offer a trial stay or a short-term lease?
Determine your rights if the property is not being managed to your standards.
Read all the fine print and study minutes from meetings of the homeowners association or management board. Talk with potential neighbours and make sure you are informed and comfortable before signing on the dotted line.
Choose an SRES® REALTOR®
There is a great deal to consider when moving into an adult community. As a ‘Seniors Real Estate Specialist®’ I have the experience, understanding, and knowledge to help you when you are ready.
If you are seeking an experienced Realtor® to go to work for you in Langley, Surrey and surrounding area’s in BC, give me a call!